'Life-Gro' flourescent tubes?

From: Andrew Bate (andrew@astilla.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 28 1997 - 06:51:52 PDT

Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 13:51:52 GMT
From: Andrew Bate <andrew@astilla.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: 'Life-Gro' flourescent tubes?

Has anyone tried Hagen 'Life-Gro' tubes in a terrarium for Nepenthes
and Heliamphora? I saw a demonstration of 4 Hagen tubes this morning
at an aquatic centre in the UK. They were Hagen's 'Aqua-Glo',
'Sun-Glo', 'Power-Glo' and 'Life-Glo'. 'Life-Glo' is apparently
intended for aquariums, terrariums and vivariums and it gave out a
very intense white light. Also, I was told that light only comes out
of about 3/8 of the circumference of the tube (presumably to focus the
light in the area where it actually does come out?)

I think I am going to get one of these tubes tomorrow to try but would
like to hear any stories others may have about them. They are not
cheap for a fluroescent tube at &18.00 (sterling, I'm in the UK) for a
36" tube but they seemed very good on display.

Andrew
--=20
Andrew Bate
andrew@astilla.demon.co.uk