Freezing Water in Sarracenia Pitchers

From: Lance Jerale (ljerale@valders.k12.wi.us)
Date: Tue Sep 23 1997 - 07:33:21 PDT

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 14:33:21 +0000
From: Lance Jerale <ljerale@valders.k12.wi.us>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Freezing Water in Sarracenia Pitchers

Hello Emre (and others concerned about water freezing in Sarracenia
pitchers)

I live in Eastern Wisconsin, and winter temperatures can at times get
colder than 30 degrees below zero Fahrenheit. There are a few bogs near
where I live (All on pivate property-- sorry!), and they are home to
Sarracenia purpurea purpurea and some small Droseras. Nobody dumps
the water out of the pitchers in nature, and believe me-- they freeze
SOLID every winter. I've been in the bog in winter. A pitcher accidentally
stepped on crunches and shatters, but beyond that, some of the tougher
pitchers actually survive the winter and are fully functional in spring!

I have no experience wintering other Sarracenias outside in cold weather,
but I can vouch for purpurea purpurea: They're TOUGH!!

Hope this helps,

Lance

--
Lance Jerale																 414-775-9520 voice