Re: Best CP area? - encephalitis

From: -Tom- (tkhayes@mail.microserve.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 1997 - 08:33:58 PDT

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 11:33:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: -Tom- <tkhayes@mail.microserve.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Best CP area? - encephalitis

Dear list,

>Well, if this would keep retirees from moving down here (g) it might be a nice
>story to promulgate. The truth is a little more mundane. There have been no
>reported cases of encephalitis in humans to my knowledge.

Well just to set the record straight - humans can and do get encephalitis.
My father happened to be one of the very unlucky individuals who got this
disease last Feb. He almost died and is currently wheelchair bound....
Can't talk much to speak of either.

The original symptoms he had seemed innocent enough - kind of like an inner
ear infection. Vertigo (really bad sense of ballance), extreme vomiting,
dehydration, etc.
The doctors had *NO* idea what he had and didn't treat him in time.
(Misdiagnosed as having a brain tumor, so they didn't think there was any
rush to do anything) It progressed quickly & two days after his first
doctor's visit he couldn't get out of bed or talk. HOWEVER, This disease
is treatable if caught very early. It is similar to Menningitis (sp?) You
have to reduce the swelling before the brain damage becomes permenant.

I wouldn't take any drastic measures like staying home if you have a trip
planned. Just be aware of this & seek treatment IMMEDIATELY if you think
you may have contracted this disease.

Take care & keep on growing,

Thomas K. Hayes

DANGEROUS PLANTS