re: "Do not go to Florida"

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 22 1997 - 07:38:08 PDT

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 10:38:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: "Do not go to Florida"

  About every two or three years an
> "Encephalitis outbreak" occurs of a few cases, and these are usually
> very localized. Yeah, this sounds scary, but somewhere around the same
> number of people who die from Encephalitis each year also die in Florida
> from lightning strikes or shark attacks.

Actually, far more die of lighting strikes. There have been about half a dozen
deaths from lighting _in Tampa_ this year alone. Most recently, a family party
was hit near the bay. As I recall two were killed and three or four
hospitalized from one strike. My house has been hit three times in the five or
so years I have lived in it. Toll so far, one TV twice, one modem, two phone
answering machines, and one cordless phone. -- Oh yeah, my hair sticks out
straight too.

Moral of the story: if you come to Florida wear bug repellant - and a lightning
rod.

Tom in Fl