CP book by Schell

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Sun Sep 21 1997 - 23:09:25 PDT

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 02:09:25 -0400
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP book by Schell

entitled "Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada:

This book started the ball rolling for me (along with an ill-fated VFT
bulb from the Johnson Smith Company novelty catalog) at the age of 12
when I borrowed it from a local library. Now I have my own copy and
still flip through the pages occasionally.

The colour pics are great as well as detailed descriptions of various
species. I find the cultivation section to be way too sparse, especially
for people more interested in CP's than growing that 2-inch red pot VFT
alongside the Hostas.

If you can still find a copy for purchase (it's probably out of print)
get it! Schnell's book makes a nice addition to a grower's library.

The MOST usefull cultivation books in my opinion are: Carnivorous Plants
of the World by Pietropaolo, Insect-eating Plants and how to grow them
by Adrian Slack, and Carnivorous Plants: Care and Cultivation (really
nice colour close-ups!) by Marcel Lecoufle. Slack's book is usually
available for loan through a good local library network ( one's that are
linked through computers).

My 2 cents,

Mark Pogany
markp@crscms.com