Re: A Mystery CP that is Native to Texas, USA!!!

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Thu Sep 18 1997 - 14:16:41 PDT

Date:          Thu, 18 Sep 1997 14:16:41
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: A Mystery CP that is Native to Texas, USA!!!

Dear Joe,

First, and most important, the plant you found in your parents' back
yard is not carnivorous. It is a member of the Aristolochiaceae. Yes,
the thing catches animals but not with its *leaves*. The "pitchers"
are the *flowers* of the plant, and they are pollinated by trapped
small insects. The insects are set free after pollination (they
are *not* digested).

> I finally got married and such,

... as visible on your pictures (ring on finger of size-comparing
hand). All the best!

> Everyone, please check this plant out, and give me some input if you
> can. Everything I know is at that page...and thanks in advance.

The "flower bulb" is in fact the fruit of the plant.

Kind regards
Jan