Re: Nepenthes Database

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Fri Sep 12 1997 - 16:21:09 PDT

Date:          Fri, 12 Sep 1997 16:21:09
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Nepenthes Database

Dear Matt & Dave & al.,

Right (http://www.hpl.hp.com/bot/cp_home).

> And I think more than fifty people are on the job, by now.

Unfortunately, some of these people think they should have their
best pictures (and other data) in their own, personal web pages.

> Now, I'm not too sure about it, but I think lots of the info you
> want to put in the Data is already out there in various places
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is exactly the problem. Although most subscribers to this list
are well aware of the joint cp database project, many are still
fiddling around with their own pages and "databases". Before one
useful contribution is submitted, there will be twenty "good ideas"
how to do it differently and a couple of "initiators" of new projects
(apart from those who think - and do not miss to tell us all - that
there should not be any project at all).

> All the older hybrids that have been documented, are in the
> database.

This is only partially correct. In fact all *published* (and noticed
by myself or others, of course) taxa and cultivars (incl. also the
recent ones, not only "older hybrids") are in the database.

> Right now they/we are looking for pictures to add onto the
> names on the list. It's slow going getting good pictures, you might
> have a really photogenic plant, but no camera or one that can't do the
> job.

Or people running their own pages...

BTW, although Andreas has an own _Nepenthes_ page, he contributed all
of his interesting/straightforward pictures also to the cp database.
Thank you very much, Andreas and all other contributors who have sent
their data to Rick. I wished everyone reading this considered
following your examples!

Kind regards
Jan