Re: Intro. Andy Carter

From: Andy Carter (fruit@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 10 1997 - 02:06:29 PDT

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:06:29 BST
From: fruit@argonet.co.uk (Andy Carter)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Intro. Andy Carter

Hi all,

It must be about time I introduced myself here, I've been lurking for
quite a while now and found what I've read interesting so far :-).

I'm from the UK, about 25-30 miles North of London. I'm at present a
lapsed member of CPS(UK) and member of IPSG, but I'm not sure if anything
is happening there as I haven't received anything since Issue 7. Does
anybody know? Loyd, maybe?

I've had a fascination with these plants since first hearing about
them as a child and have been growing CPs for around 10 years now,
starting with a VFT and D. capensis, although I had a VFT for a /very/
short time 20 years ago.

I have been lucky enough to pick up most of the recent books on CPs since
I started, I understand many of these are now /very/ difficult to find.
Most of my early successes were primarily due to Slack's excellent texts.

I have around 60 different species at the moment, most of the common stuff
but mainly Pings and Utrics, down from over 100 a couple of years ago when
I had winter heating problems whilst abroad followed by running out of
rain water. I have two greenhouses, one heated (minimally) during winter,
one permanently open and vented, and a home constructed dew-point cabinet
for more tender specimens (still not too sure about the overall usefulness
of this though).

I must admit that I /grow/ them more than /enthuse/ about them now,
especially so since being on the net, I find newsgroups can be rather
addictive :-) Better than TV though.

Well I think that'll do for now, hope to be able to contribute to this
list in the future.

Happy growing

Andy

--