Re: Repotting Nepenthes

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Wed Sep 10 1997 - 09:49:35 PDT

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 12:49:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Repotting Nepenthes

Steve wrote:

> I have several nepenthes... I think it is
> time to consider repotting ...
> ...Is it better to slip the ball out of the pot,
> and put it into a larger pot retaining the
> original ball as the core of the new potting, or risk root
> damage by gently rinsing the media from the root ball
> to the bare root and repot.

It depends on how decomposed the original potting media is.
Nepenthes roots don't like to be immersed in anaerobic slime.
If you keep the same potting media and it's begun to decompose,
then it will eventually coat the roots in slime if you just
plant the intact root ball in another pot.

Since you're repotting because you suspect the media is
either decomposing or becoming salt-laden, then it's
probably better (in the long run) to gently remove as
much of the old potting media as possible. You can use
a toothpick to pry the old media away from the plant
crown. The finer roots in the periphery of the pot
are very delicate and it's almost impossible to leave
them undamaged when you repot.

But the plant will grow more of these thin roots as long
as the plant crown and the major roots are in good shape.

I haven't found a way to repot Nepenthes, removing the
old media, without setting the plant back somewhat. But
they usually rebound quite nicely.

Regards,

Perry Malouf