Sarracenia Dormancy

From: Matt Miller (nuclei@paonline.com)
Date: Sat Sep 06 1997 - 07:15:25 PDT

Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 07:15:25 -0700
From: Matt Miller <nuclei@paonline.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia Dormancy

I have a Sarracenia leucophylla that will have to go into its dormant
period soon. However the room its in never drops below 60 degrees in the
winter. So I have to move it into my basement which goes down to about
45 degrees in the winter. Some books say to wrap them in live spagnum
moss and treat them with a fungicide and then just put them in a plastic
bag for 3 monthes checking every once in a while that no fungus is
starting. Another book said to just submerge them in a 5 gallon bucket
of distilled water for three monthes and then you don't need to worry
about fungus, and its supposed to mimic a natural flood perion that they
get in the wild. I would really appriciate it if anyone growing
Sarracenias could e-mail me telling me what methods they use during
dormancy.

Thanks Alot ... Matt Miller