Sarracenia Dormancy

From: Carlstrom_Rick@amelnx.advmar.com
Date: Mon Sep 08 1997 - 05:05:05 PDT

Date: Mon, 08 Sep 97 07:05:05 EST
From: Carlstrom_Rick@amelnx.advmar.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia Dormancy

If your basement gets down to about 45 degrees F that should be great. I put my
Sarracenia in my garage where it never goes below freezing. I put them under
grow lights on a timer and slowly reduce the photoperiod to about 8 hours a day.
 I water them but do not keep them "summer" wet.

When the spring start I increase the photoperiod and the watering and, like
magic, growth starts up again.

I am also carefull about keeping any dead pitchers trimmed back to reduce the
chance of fungus. A weekly inspection for fungus is a good idea.

Rick