Re: Gastronomy, mechanisms, ecology...

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Fri Sep 05 1997 - 08:43:25 PDT

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 11:43:25 -0400
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Gastronomy, mechanisms, ecology...

     Ida,
      I fed two more small frogs to my VFTs several days ago. I checked on
     the plants yesterday, at lunch time and both plants seem to be doing
     well. Both traps were completely closed and only a small portion of
     the frog leges were visible outside the traps. They were kind of weird
     looking. The frog legs were starting to look quit dry looking
     indicating that the plant was absorbing the nourishment. Normally I
     just feed the vfts and forget about them.
      As I stated earlier, the frogs that I use came from my swimming pool
     filter, They were dead, but still fresh. I have never had any problems
     with the trigger action of the VFTs when feeding them frogs or freshly
     killed insects. I just pop the little fellow in the largest trap I can
     find and give it a couple of good wiggles. The trap closes and I
     wiggle the food one more time to finish the closing process. As you
     know, VFTs have a double trap action.
 I can't tell you if one frog is better for VFTs then others, I'm not really a
frog expert :-), I can only tell you that I have been feeding small green and
gray tree frogs to vfts and S. Purps for quit a few years with nothing but
positive results. I have a very large amount of swampy woodland behind my house.
This area is saturated with tree frogs. As these frogs move around at night,
they get stuck inside my pool's prefilter or skimmer and drown. I like to think
of this as recycling :) ribbit, ribbit
                    Charles Brewer
                    Va. Beach, Va.

Author: Ide Laurent <ide@arcadis.be> at smtp

Hi all

French Droseras frequently catch frog to eat their legs...

More seriously, how can the VFT trap remain closed with a dead prey ? Sure it
does, following what I'm reading, but HOW ?

Waiting for answers.

Laurent