Re: Direct sunlight

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Mon Aug 25 1997 - 10:37:11 PDT

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 13:37:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Direct sunlight

Paul Burkhardt wrote:

> It's quite difficult to compete with the amount of
> radiation the sun produces :)

Oh, I dunno. A high-pressure xenon arc, 100 A at 4 KV,
and only a few feet away from the plants oughta blow away
solar radiation :-)

> I have found that vft's can handle direct sunlight all day, but if you
> grow then under artificial light, they will need to be eased into it.

My experience with Dionaea closely follows Paul's. Mine are out
in direct sunlight all day, and it can get very hot. The
plants grow very well, putting out traps that are almost 2" long
with pretty red-pink coloration inside. They love to catch
daddy-long-legs spiders.

Regards,

Perry