RE: Overgrown Venus Fly Trap

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Mon Aug 25 1997 - 07:23:08 PDT

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 10:23:08 -0400
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Overgrown Venus Fly Trap

> My Sister recently bought me a venus fly trap that
> is so overgrown that some of the traps are shut on
> each other. Its has many traps but there is so
> little space that they either cannot open fully or
> shut. What can I do to spread it out?

If your VFT is really doing well then it may benefit from being
separated. Here's how I separate mine when repotting them. Please note
that this is just a method that works for me; more experienced growers
may have better suggestions.

Scoop your VFT out of it's present pot. If it is a small pot you can
just upend the whole pot into your hand (be careful not to crush the
plant, of course). Cup your hand loosely around the plant and swish it
gently through a bucket of rainwater. The soil will fall away from the
VFT. Oftimes when I'm doing this, the plant will separate itself into
parts. If not, continue washing the plant until you can see the rhizome
at the base of the plant. You should be able to divide it *gently* with
your fingers -- I've never had a plant offer much resistance. Once
you've divided it you can plant the individuals in separate pots.

Hope this helps,
Phil
URL du jour: http://www.theobvious.com/