Re: Sarraceni purpurea venosa heterophylla??

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Aug 21 1997 - 13:00:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 21 Aug 97 16:00 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarraceni purpurea venosa heterophylla??

Hello Prion,

> Just a brief question for you in the know. Has anyone heard of/come across
> an all green S.purpurea venosa form? Do they exist? I'm just curious
> after looking at some pics of S. Purp. purp. heterophylla.

Yes, I don't know that they are availible on a commerial basis, however.
Phil Sheridan (SP?) mentioned finding three all-green seedlings among
his experimental Sarracenia purpurea venosa seedlings. Perhaps when
these are large enough to seed, we'll see some in the seed bank. Most
any plant species can have an all-green mutation. BTW, this *doesn't*
seem to be the same sort genetics at work as what causes the all-green
in S.purp purp heterophylla.

> Oh, and one more thing, can anyone tell me the most shade tolerant CP (a
> north facing window) apart from aquatic Ultrics, that is.

Hmm, I think you would need more light for aquatic Utricularia than
the other types. Small Pinguicula, like P. lusitanica and P. pumila
aren't that happy about strong light...

Dave Evans