Re: Nep again

From: dragon@huron.net
Date: Sun Aug 17 1997 - 19:30:18 PDT

Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 22:30:18 -0400
From: dragon@huron.net
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nep again

I remember seeing a photograph like this, but it was not
> on a web site (I have a text-only browser). It was in
> a back issue of Nature Malaysiana (vol. number escapes
> me now). It showed highland Nepenthes veitchii growing
> straight up a tree trunk. The leaves were on alternate
> sides of the vertical vine, each one curving around the
> tree trunk and sporting a pitcher.
> Captivating photograph! I've never seen any Nepenthes
> like this in the wild. I'm not sure how common this
> sort of growth is, nor if it is restricted to N. veitchii
> or not.

     The issue in question of 'Nature Malaysia' is the October 1988,
Volume 13, No. 4. There are 3 photographs of the ultimate tree hugger,
N. veitchii, climbing up the tree trunk on page 18. Old timers will
no doubt be familiar with this issue. Interested parties should know
that this issue has a 19 page feature of "Pitcher Plants of East
Malaysia and Brunei" by A. Philipps and A. Lamb. Full of beautiful
colour photographs, habitat shots, and some paintings. Nature Malaysia
was published by Tropical Press Sdn. Bhd., 29, Jalan Riong, 59100
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I have no idea if this magazine is still being
printed or if back issues are still available.

     Good luck! Nigel