Re: Nep again

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Sun Aug 17 1997 - 13:47:18 PDT

Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 16:47:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nep again

Laurent wrote:

> ...No, I don't speak about the tendrils !.. pictures of Neps....
> you can see a nep growing AROUND a tree, the vine is climbing
> vertically along the tree and the leaves grow in 'circles' to
> fix the plant around the tree !

I remember seeing a photograph like this, but it was not
on a web site (I have a text-only browser). It was in
a back issue of Nature Malaysiana (vol. number escapes
me now). It showed highland Nepenthes veitchii growing
straight up a tree trunk. The leaves were on alternate
sides of the vertical vine, each one curving around the
tree trunk and sporting a pitcher.

Captivating photograph! I've never seen any Nepenthes
like this in the wild. I'm not sure how common this
sort of growth is, nor if it is restricted to N. veitchii
or not.

Regards,

Perry Malouf