Re: cephalotus and scale

From: Ron Schlosser (rons@earthworld.com)
Date: Fri Aug 08 1997 - 18:33:50 PDT

Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 17:33:50 -0800
From: Ron Schlosser <rons@earthworld.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: cephalotus and scale

On 30-Jul-97, Kevin Snively wrote:
>On 1997-07-26 cp@opus.hpl.hp.com said:

> sh>(No blame on anyone but myself....should have followed
> sh>this person's instructions properly!) :-)
> sh>Thinking in my innocence that it would be O.K to use a weak
> sh>solution of any insecticide and due to the non-availability of
> sh>Malathion I placed 10 ml of Dimetheoate (systemic) in 3 gallons of
> sh>rainwater and immersed the plant in it for 15 minutes. Sure it
> sh>killed the scale, but it killed the large and attractive plant as
> sh>well! <:-(

> sh>Stuart Haxton

>1 Dimetheoate has been used by many for treatment of infested CP
>and was recomended by Slack in one of his books. I think No. 2
>Insect Eating Plants and How to Grow Them. However one of the
>older CPN Leo Song reported distortion of new growth in treated
>plants. I can't remember who told me but this reaction is said
>to be temprature dependent not showing up during cool weather.
>I HATE using POISON on my plants but do when necessary. I consider
>Dimetheoate a LATE Fall - Winter - EARLY Spring ansure only.

     Stuart and other fellow growers, before I say anything more about
Dimethoate (correct spelling) I have something to say about pesticides in
general. Please remember that *ANY* of the suggestions that you have read
either in the books or on this message list are to be used *AT ONES OWN RISK*.
 I said suggestions vs recommendations for reasons that follow.
     I have worked for the past 23 years in the horticultural field, most of
the time dealing with pesticides. A year ago my current employer required me
to obtain a Pesticide Consultants license and I have learned what can and can
not be recommended about the usage of pesticides. First, *the label is the
law* which means, if I remember right, that if the *plant* is not listed on
the label the product *can not be used on that plant*. Second, if the plant
*is* listed but not the pest and you have reason to think that the pesticide
will control the pest your after you can use it. There are product labels
that do allow for one to treat plants that are similar to ones on the label
but are not specified.
     In all of my years dealing with various pesticides, I have come across
only 2 pesticides that mention CP, one was an herbicide used to *kill* aquatic
Utricularas (which does not help us) and the other is a fungicide called
_Daconil Ultrex_ which is labeled for disease control on Venus Flytraps.
Since there are only these 2 products that list CP, I can not *recommend*
their use on any thing but their labeled plants. Again, the label is the law
(at least in the US). How *you* use the product is up to you.

     Now about Dimethoate. This product is a *powerful* systemic. It is a
*true* systemic in that it is moved by the plant to all parts of the plant
regardless of where it contacts. Orthene on the other hand is a local
systemic, it is absorbed by the plant but does not translocate. If one uses
this product, you should use a pesticide respirator that is labeled for
pesticides, if you don't it can make you *real* sick if you breath the fumes.
There are 2 labels for the product, one for agricultural use (vegetables etc.)
and the other is for ornamentals. I would suggest that if one wants to try
this product out that you start with the lowest rate on the label which works
out to be 1 tsp (5 ml) per gallon and spray to wet. I have had no problem
using this product on my Sarracenias or Darlingtonia but Drosera do not like
it. I'd never drench.

>2 MOST CP re sensitive to the solvents used to carry the poison
>not the poison its self. Probable exceptions are Nicotene and
>in the case of Drosera and Pyrithrum. Malathion WP. (wetable powder)
>is ok on CP. Liquid Malathion is not as safe for the plants.
>Dimetheoate should only be used as a soil drench. Not on the Leaves.

     Kevin is correct about the solvents. I know orchid growers who cannot
use liquid Orthene because it will burn their plants but have had no problem
with the wetable powder form. I would just spray the leaves because 1) you
end up with less product being absorbed by the plant, 2) leaves are generally
tougher than roots, and 3) because the soil mixes can hold onto what is put
into them, you prolong the plants contact with the pesticide.

>I started growing CP to try to find "Organic Pest Control"
>Now I dance with the Devil from time to time. :-|(

>krs
>Net-Tamer V 1.09.2 - Test Drive

     Again I say, use the information about pesticides at your own risk.

Ron