cephalotus and scale

From: Stuart Haxton (stuart@haxton.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 26 1997 - 03:06:28 PDT

Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 11:06:28 +0100
From: Stuart Haxton <stuart@haxton.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: cephalotus and scale

Hello everyone,
             To add on to my last posting,
             I recieved an email saying that immersion in a weak
malathion solution for 15 minutes or so got rid of some scale on
sarracenia, and suggesting that the same would happen with
cephalotus.(No blame on anyone but myself....should have followed this
person's instructions properly!) :-)
Thinking in my innocence that it would be O.K to use a weak solution of
any insecticide and due to the non-availability of Malathion I placed 10
ml of Dimetheoate (systemic) in 3 gallons of rainwater and immersed the
plant in it for 15 minutes. Sure it killed the scale, but it killed the
large and attractive plant as well! <:-(
(All this was done as a last resort, as the scale would not be moved by
any other treatment I had tried.)
Does anyone know why a weak chemical insecticide would have this
dramatic effect?
Are Cephs more vulnerable to pollutants than other species?
Just a mistake that may be of use to someone someday.

Good growing,

--
Stuart Haxton