Re: Orchids and Sarracenias

From: Niels Asger Nielsen (NAN@HDC.HHA.DK)
Date: Mon Aug 04 1997 - 00:58:09 PDT

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 09:58:09 +0200
From: NAN@HDC.HHA.DK (Niels Asger Nielsen)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Orchids and Sarracenias

Nigel wrote:

>Watching a gardening programme on TV last week, I saw an expert divide
>an orchid much as we would divide a Sarracenia. However when potting
>up the divisions, the expert made a point of putting the the plant at the side
>of the new pot. Does anyone know why, and could this logic also apply to
>Sarracenias?

Without having tried to divide an orchid or a sarracenia, I think putting
the plant at the side of the pot will allow more air to the roots of the
plant and prevent it from rotting. There is often a small crack at the side
of the pot. In my experience seedlings at the side of the pot also tends to
grow better than seedlings in the center of the pot.

Best regards

Niels Asger Nielsen
MAPP researcher, Msc

The Aarhus School of Business