Mystery Nepenthes

From: Stuart Haxton (stuart@haxton.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 25 1997 - 13:37:44 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 21:37:44 +0100
From: Stuart Haxton <stuart@haxton.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Mystery Nepenthes

Hello everybody,
             I am trying to find possible parents and\or a name for an
orphan nepenthes hybrid of mine. It is very beautiful, and vigorous.
Here are some descriptions:
The plant is happy in *extreme* temperatures; upper thirties in daytime,
and as low as 10 degrees at night. It is extremely robust, as are most
nep hybrids. (This doesn't help much, but likely to be lowland)

The tendrils are very thick and tough, and grab viciously at any nearby
object.Slight red flecks and stripes are visible on the lower part of
the tendril.

The majority of the plant appears to be covered with fine, short russet
hairs, especially on the tendrils, embryo pitchers and the growing tip.
Also the undersides of the leaves and medial vein.

Tends to flop if it has nothing to grab.(even with a short stem...4
inches or so.) The strength is in the tendrils, not the stem, which
seems to suggest a tree dwelling or climbing species. The stem base is
thinner than the growing tip.

I know that these descriptions are not going to be much use as so many
plants fit them. However I have a zip file I can send you which contains
a bmp file with more concise descriptions and a good photo of a lower
pitcher.(from the supplier, Cambrian Carnivores,
Carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED BY ME!!*)
This should help. (but it's 129 kB and may not go through all
transports, so says my email program!) <:-0
I could email it to anyone who is interested in taking up this puzzle.
Thanks in advance ,

Good growing everyone,

--
Stuart Haxton