Re: More about Cephalotus

From: John H. Phillips III (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 24 1997 - 17:09:10 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 08:09:10 +0800
From: "John H. Phillips III" <phillips@library.ucsf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: More about Cephalotus

At 05:38 AM 7/25/97 -0700, you wrote:
> The open mix plays a big role, but I
> would like to hear more about fertilization. What type, how much, how
> often...your proven methods. I have tried using live bugs in the past,
> but hate to see a large pitcher die. Maybe this is just the
> characteristic of the plant in general, but it takes so long to grow
> large pitchers. As I said the other day, I use some liquid fertilizer
> either as a spray or pour it over the plant. I use 1/4 strength. I use
> a regular orchid fertilizer, don't remember the name or strength. It
> seems to really make a difference during the growing season, but I
> have never tried using fertilizer during the winter. Just too scared
> to.

I have used 1/8 to 1/4 strength orchid fertilizer in the past, but have
found an open mix of perlite/fine orchid bark/peat in a ratio of 5/5/1,
high humidity, and bright diffuse daylight to be most important. I misted
the plants with fertilizer, sprayed some into the larger pitchers, and
washed out the soil with water after each time I fertilized.
John H. Phillips III e-mail:phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Interlibrary Loan Rm 202
Health Sciences Library
University of California