Re: More about Cephalotus

From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Thu Jul 24 1997 - 11:11:54 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 14:11:54 -0400
From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: More about Cephalotus

     Paul, Laurent and other Ceph growers,
      Good growing information on these plants. I guess there are many many
     different methods to soil mix. I have also added some charcoal to my
     Ceph mix, but use the professional orchid mix which contains charcoal.
     Most of my Ceph's grow in course sand and peat, topped with either new
     Zealand moss or live sphagnum. The open mix plays a big role, but I
     would like to hear more about fertilization. What type, how much, how
     often...your proven methods. I have tried using live bugs in the past,
     but hate to see a large pitcher die. Maybe this is just the
     characteristic of the plant in general, but it takes so long to grow
     large pitchers. As I said the other day, I use some liquid fertilizer
     either as a spray or pour it over the plant. I use 1/4 strength. I use
     a regular orchid fertilizer, don't remember the name or strength. It
     seems to really make a difference during the growing season, but I
     have never tried using fertilizer during the winter. Just too scared
     to.
      As for the charcoal addition, this sounds good, but I would caution
     people reading this message Not to go home and up root their Ceph's
     just to add charcoal to the mix. If the plant is doing well, leave it
     alone. If not, your call. I would rather you wait until the next time
     you transplant your plant, then add the charcoal. Ceph's do not like
     to be disturbed and will respond by dropping leaves and traps.
      I have also heard about a Ceph that has pitchers up to three inches
     long. I am looking for this clone, if you have one and want to trade,
     I have some good stuff to trade with. email me privately.
      I would like to know more about cloning these plants from cuttings,
     divisions, etc. I use the method of removing a leaf and placing it
     into some live sphagnum moss. I get about 60% success rate out of this
     method and less using just pitchers. I also cut the plant off at the
     ground and plant the top portion in live sphagnum moss. This will take
     root within a couple of weeks or so. The mother plant will soon heal
     itself and start sending up new growths. Before you know it, you have
     two more beauties. I don't usually use rooting power on cuttings, but
     I have been thinking about it lately. Are there any other proven
     cloning methods out there that anyone cares to add to this
     discussion?. If so, "Bring it on".
                          Charles Brewer
                           Va. Beach, Va.