Re: Transpiration, oxygen...

From: Alexander Salomon (asalomon@erols.com)
Date: Tue Jul 22 1997 - 12:35:22 PDT

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 15:35:22 -0400
From: Alexander Salomon <asalomon@erols.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Transpiration, oxygen...

Perry Malouf wrote:

>Paul Burkhardt wrote:

>> I believe that all plants do better with some "darkness", since that is
>> what they experience naturally. Not only does it give the plant a resting
>> period, but also their respiration reverses at night, producing oxygen
>> rather than carbon dioxide.

>Ooops. I thought that plants transpire oxygen during the _day_ when
>they get light, and then at night they transpire carbon dioxide.

Correct me if I'm wrong(College Biology has been quite a few years), but
I believe the term "transpiration" refers to the loss of water by a
plant-in effect, "Plant sweat" or perspiration. I believe that this in
fact occurs at night when the plans' stomata open.

Alexander E. Salomon, M.D.

Address: 540 N. Piedmont St. Phone: (703)276-9430 (H)
         Arlington VA, 22203 (202)687-7234 (W)

E-mail asalomon@erols.com
           salomona@medlib.georgetown.edu
           alex@monarchy.com