Re: Transpiration, oxygen...

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 22 1997 - 11:38:12 PDT

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 19:38:12 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Transpiration, oxygen...

On 21 Jul 97 at 9:00, Perry Malouf wrote:

> Paul Burkhardt wrote:
>
> > I believe that all plants do better with some "darkness", since that is
> > what they experience naturally. Not only does it give the plant a resting
> > period, but also their respiration reverses at night, producing oxygen
> > rather than carbon dioxide.
>
> Ooops. I thought that plants transpire oxygen during the _day_ when
> they get light, and then at night they transpire carbon dioxide.

Here's my (not all that knowledgeable) version:

'transpiration' normally means loss of water though leaves etc.

'respiration' is breathing in oxygen, combining it with food to
make energy, and giving out carbon dioxide waste. Plants do this
(all the time I think) just like humans do.

'photosynthesis' involves taking in carbon dioxide, using light
energy to build the carbon into food, and giving out oxygen.
This usually happens during the day, except for some plants which
take in the carbon dioxide during the night, store it, and utilise
it with the light the next day. Humans skip this bit, and eat food
which plants had 'prepared earlier'.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Frogspawn, etc.