Re: Something different

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jul 20 1997 - 08:13:49 PDT

Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 16:13:49 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Something different

On 18 Jul 97 at 7:55, Peter Cole wrote:

> Well, well. Something unusual has come to pass. I find that one
> of my in vitro Darlingtonia derived from a callus culture has
> developed as a chlorophyll-free albino...

> I'd also be interested in any views on whether such a plant might
> come true from seed (bet the flowers would look cool!) Anyone ever
> taken seed from a c-free cactus?

A rare instance of a post which might also be appropriate on the
CACTI_ETC list (same server as CP)! So putting on my 'cactus' hat:

The usual 'red' (and yellow and white) grafted cacti which you
find in shops are Gymnocalycium, usually reckoned to be G.
mihanovichii. They don't often flower, but I believe are capable of
doing and producing seed. I seem to remember one of the seedsmen once
offering seed which was supposed to produce a proportion
of coloured mutants so you might have a chance if the Darlingtonia
ever gets that far. A packet of grafting stock was included - the
cacti in shops are usually on the 3-angled Hylocereus, which
tends to succumb during the British Winter - Trichocereus is
much better.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Frogspawn, etc.