Something different

From: Peter Cole (flytrap@flytrap.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 18 1997 - 08:17:44 PDT

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 15:17:44 +0000
From: Peter Cole <flytrap@flytrap.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Something different

Well, well. Something unusual has come to pass. I find that one of my in vitro Darlingtonia
derived from a callus culture has developed as a chlorophyll-free albino (though anthocyanin
production is evident.) As the idea of a white plant with red veins appeals to me, and it
obviously cannot survive ex vitro without photosynthesis, I wonder if it is possible to graft
Sarraceniaceae. Anyone ever tried it? I shall experiment on a few Sarracenia first, but don't
know if it might not be safer to graft 2 sterile plants together in vitro to reduce the risk of
infection and give the plant time to develop any necessary metabolic pathways between the
two clones.
I know it works with those colourful cactus spp. (can't remember the genus, but you can see
them in most garden centres,) which are chlorophyll-free and have to be grafted onto green "stalks"
of "normal" cactus.
I'd also be interested in any views on whether such a plant might come true from seed (bet the
flowers would look cool!) Anyone ever taken seed from a c-free cactus?

        Happy cloning,

                Peter

Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr.,Killay,SWANSEA SA27BU,WALES,UK
Tel:+44 1792 205214 http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk
 Carnivorous Plants, seeds and tissue culture kits for sale