Clarification on Clonal Names

From: xfaberman@sprynet.com
Date: Thu Jul 10 1997 - 07:24:28 PDT

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 10:24:28 -0400
From: xfaberman@sprynet.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Clarification on Clonal Names

Regarding the recent discussion on clonal names, and my statements which
I made to an orchid mail list, but which were quoted in the CP mail
list, I believe some clarification is in order.

Jan is absolutely correct with respect for the need to publish clonal
names. I erred in stating that clonal names should "preferably" be
published.

However, with respect to strictly CLONAL names (as opposed to GREX
names), I stand by my statement that most orchidists (at least here in
southern Florida) do accept a broad definition of "publication." I did
not mean to imply that they are correct in doing so and apologize for
any misunderstanding.