Re: Re: clonal names

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Thu Jul 10 1997 - 08:44:01 PDT

Date:          Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:44:01
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Re: clonal names

Dear Dave,

> I have read that a cultivar shouldn't be named unless there are
> at least a couple duplicates in more that one collection...

Where did you read this? Anyway, it is of course sensible to have
duplicates.

> But
> then any name given would not be valid, nor could it be, since it
> hasn't been published

This is not quite clear to me. There are several names that indeed
*have* been published (BTW, it is definitely possible to publish
names, although some people tend to create the impression that this
would be close to very difficult...).

> and if it's used before being published it can't
> be used.

Well, I think you mean the right thing here (i.e. it is not correct to
use unpublished names).

> (For that clone only or the whole species???)

Again the old problem. What are we talking about? Taxa or cultivars?
ICBN or ICNCP? Anyway, a name *must* be published before it is used.

> Are there any guide-lines as to how to keep out of this confusion?

There is in fact no confusion at all. Once you have identified the
item you want to name, you just need to apply the appropriate rules,
*publish* the stuff, and go ahead.

Kind regards
Jan