Re: clonal names

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Jul 09 1997 - 20:45:18 PDT

Date:          Wed, 9 Jul 1997 20:45:18
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: clonal names

Dear David & al.,

> However, simply writing the name on a label and sticking it in the
> plant's pot is accepted as "publication" by the vast majority of
> the orchid-growing community.

At this point Xavier Fabermann thinks that the vast majority of
the orchid-growing community is at variance with the International
Code for the Nomenclature of Cultivated Plants. The (limited) section
of the orchid-growing community I am familiar with (perhaps not
the vast majority) does *not* think so. Anyway, just labelling plants
and distributing them cannot be (no-no!) accepted as a publication.

Have the names (together with a description and preferably with a
colour photograph of the living plant) printed and distributed in a
publicly accessible journal or book. All other means of distribution
(plant or herbarium labels, telephone calls, video tapes, internet
mail, unpublished manuscripts, letters, graffitti, broadcast/TV
shows, etc.) are *not* valid.

BTW, buying meristems or plants from a breeder and naming the plants
without his/her consent is not the usual way clones (cultivars)
should be named. I think there is even a provision in the ICNCP that
a name must not be given to a cultivated plant contrary to the will
of the breeder (originator).

Kind regards
Jan