Re: re: CO2 for terrarium

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jun 26 1997 - 16:53:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 26 Jun 97 19:53 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: re: CO2 for terrarium

> The cheapest method is to use sugar, water, and yeast. I've used this method
> successfully for several years to produce CO2 for a planted aquarium. The
> indegredients are added to a 2 liter soda bottle, and the CO2 resulting from
> fermentation is piped into the aquarium through airline tubing inserted through a
> hole drilled in the cap of the bottle. This system produces CO2 steadily for about
> 10-14 days, and it's easier to work with than dry ice or vinegar/baking soda. Total
> startup cost is less than $5.00 (and you get to drink the soda).

    You can add some honey to the mixture. This slows it down and
it lasts a little longer. The plants can't use the CO2 at night, so
you can clip off the hose and let it charge up overnite. Watch out
though, if the fluid level is too high, the bubbles may force their
way into the tubing and then the terrarium.
    Only a small amount of CO2, just a couple % by volume, are needed
for positive effects. 100% CO2 will kill all the plants in short
order. I think I added a drop of some sort of oil to cause the bubbles
to break when they hit the surface, but I forget what.

Dave E