Re: S. psittacina and repotting...

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jun 26 1997 - 14:57:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 26 Jun 97 17:57 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: S. psittacina and repotting...

> From: Coutadeur Fabrice <coutadeur.f@GARDENER.COM>
>
> I don't know if I should repot them as I read in the Lecoufle's book :
> 'Repotting the plant in an another season than the spring could kill it, or
> at least harm it'...

Hi Fabrice,

    I'm not sure why books say things like that... There are reasons
that make spring a better time of year - for lots of plants - but you will
not kill them by transplanting during another season. (note, when winter
comes along here in NJ, you would need a jackhammer to transplant Sarr.
Ice is very hard!!! I could see this type of opertion killing the plant)
    Most Sarracenia put out their best leaves in the fall, S.flava and
S.oreophila are the two exceptions. So for most Sarracenia, spring
transplanting is better since they will have gotten "back on their feet"
by late summer/fall and will be able to produce those great leaves. S.
flava and S.oreophila will not be making any (or few) pitchers after
mid-summer so dividing and transplanting are better done at that time.
The truth is, most plants are easier to tranplant and mail while
dormant, so long as they aren't placed in adverse conditions.

> And then, what should I do ? Wait 8 month before repotting it or repot it
> as soon as possible ?

   Transplant. Into a much larger pot. A single rosette of average
sized S.psittacina can reach six to ten inches wide especially in the
fall or in a terrarium with fall-like lighting.
   You will want to avoid transplanting and then having freezing weather
come along only a few weeks later (for Sarracenia, anyway). I don't
think you have to worry about that where you live (Yes, Tom, this time
I checked to see where he lives ;) -not this time of year, at least.

Dave Evans