CP in AZ

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (barry@as.arizona.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 19 1997 - 16:55:08 PDT

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 16:55:08 -0700
From: barry@as.arizona.edu (Barry Meyers-Rice)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP in AZ

>I'm a newbie to CP, looking for suggestions for CP that could do well in =
>the Arizona Desert.........low humidity. Can be indoor or out, can also =
>provide clean H2O, and shade if required. I saw Cephalous (spelling??) =
>lives in Australia and wondered if it would do well here.
>Thanks!
>Joe

Hey Joe,

I was in Tucson for about 12 years and know a bit about what your conditions
are like. As John in Phoenix noted, indoors you are only limited by terrarium
culture limitations, assuming you keep the plants cool. Outdoors in a
greenhouse is great too. But otherwise you have a real problem. I think
the only plants you'll have luck with are plants you can grow during the
winter. I was reasonably successful with some easy tuberous species. During
the winter they'd grow, during the summer they'd die back to a tuber as they
should.

Drosophyllum tends to die at temperatures exceeding 105 F.

Cephalotus certainly could not grow out doors.

Good luck!

Barry Meyers-Rice