Brocchinia pollination

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 13 1997 - 08:27:20 PDT

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:27:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Brocchinia pollination

Hello folks,
        This is in reply to Eric Greens ? re. selfing of Brocchinea. I
have one also producing many bloom spikes, lots of flowers but no seed. I
to transfer pollen from flower to flower but with little result. This is
the second of my Brocchinea to go into bloom in the last 18 months and is
following the same pattern as the first. Unfortunatly they did not bloom
simultaneously so seed is not available. In my opinion only, I do not
believe this species to be self pollinating naturally or artificially.
There is one pleasant side effect however of the bloom. They soon begin
to produce several 'pups' to replace the parant plant, so the clone will
survive in the collection at least.
        Hope this helps.
        Good growing
        Andrew
ps. any one out there with seed of D. regia please? I have managed to
kill/lose my last one again. For a supposedly easy plant they sure are
frustrating the hell out of me! What are your secrets?