Re: D. sp. Magaliesberg again

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 15:16:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 11 Jun 97 18:16 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. sp. Magaliesberg again

> I am still puzzled over the status of D. sp. Magaliesberg. Mine is
> beginning to flower and I am expecting some seedlings. I hope that someone
> out there can give some details of this drosera species/hybrid.

Hi Paul,

   I guess *we*, the growers of this plant, are going to have to supply
the details. I'm expecting mine to flower soon also. My plants were
made from leaf cuttings so I haven't seen the second generation yet.
When your seed comes up, look to see if they show lots of variation in
the shapes of the various parts. If so, then this would be a very good
(+) indication it's a hybrid. If not, it might still be a hybrid that
has somehow doubled it's chromosomes so each seed still gets an equal
amount of genes from the two original species. I'm not sure how to go
about counting the chromosomes nor how to figure out if they have become
doubled... Please let us know how the seedlings turn out.

Dave Evans