Re: H. heterodoxa

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 13:04:58 PDT

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 16:04:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: H. heterodoxa

> I purchased a H. heterodoxa recently at the ABG cp conference and it's not
> doing well. This is my first Heli, so I'd appreciate advice from anyone.
>
> Here's the history. The plant was in mix in a plastic pot and was wrapped
> in plastic. I added a hole for air exchange and put it under fluorescent
> lights. This weekend (the cp conference was several weeks ago) I removed it
> from the plastic (it looked fine) and set in a 55 gallon aquarium filled
> with a layer of dead sphagnum moss/rock perlite/charcoal and topped with
> live sphagnum moss. It's still in the same mixl and plastic container. The
> aquarium was set up this weekend,too. It is not sitting in water.
>
> The low temp is around 68 F and the high temp is around 78 to 82 F . The
> light is about 18 to 24 inches above the plant. Humidity is 80 - 90%.>
> I will check the roots tonight. For future reference, could someone
> recommend a potting mix for heli's.
>
> Oh, yes, the plant. A couple of leaves have shrivelled up at the top since
> putting it in the aquarium. I've also noticed that there's no water in the
> pitchers. Should I add some rainwater? Advic?
> David

In the FWIW department I can throw in a few comments, but there are other, more
experienced Heli growers on the list who may comment.

First, I would suggest that you leave the roots alone, don't unpot the plant
now. It has already suffered some unavoidable shock just from being moving
from one end of the country to the other and back again. It will take a while
for it to stabilize. If the oldest traps are browning, it may just be shock.

Second, your set-up sounds about the same as the grower who sold it to you (I
know because I also obtained a specimen from the same source) except that your
lights may be a little too far away, and she grew her's standing in shallow
water. So with those changes it may take extra time for the plant to adjust.

For me, very high humidity always helps.

Tom in Fl.