H. heterodoxa

From: Mellard, David (dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV)
Date: Mon Jun 09 1997 - 07:43:00 PDT

Date: Mon, 09 Jun 97 09:43:00 EST
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: H. heterodoxa

I purchased a H. heterodoxa recently at the ABG cp conference and it's not
doing well. This is my first Heli, so I'd appreciate advice from anyone.

Here's the history. The plant was in mix in a plastic pot and was wrapped
in plastic. I added a hole for air exchange and put it under fluorescent
lights. This weekend (the cp conference was several weeks ago) I removed it
from the plastic (it looked fine) and set in a 55 gallon aquarium filled
with a layer of dead sphagnum moss/rock perlite/charcoal and topped with
live sphagnum moss. It's still in the same mixl and plastic container. The
aquarium was set up this weekend,too. It is not sitting in water.

The low temp is around 68 F and the high temp is around 78 to 82 F . The
light is about 18 to 24 inches above the plant. Humidity is 80 - 90%. I'm
still playing with the set up and may add a small fan and an opening to
allow air exchange. Right now, the aquarium top is covered with Saran wrap
until I have a glass top made.

I will check the roots tonight. For future reference, could someone
recommend a potting mix for heli's.

Oh, yes, the plant. A couple of leaves have shrivelled up at the top since
putting it in the aquarium. I've also noticed that there's no water in the
pitchers. Should I add some rainwater? Advic?

David