Seedling maturation

From: Jon Lindstrom (tranell@omni.cc.purdue.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 08:35:59 PDT

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 10:35:59 -0500 (EST)
From: Jon Lindstrom <tranell@omni.cc.purdue.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Seedling maturation

The first true leaves on Drosera seedlings should have tentacles. Try looking
at the leaves with a magnifying glass, if you don't see tentacles, I am afraid
you are growing weeds. Pinguicula seedlings are the same, the first true
leaves have noticeable glands. Your Sarracenia seeds are right on track, the
first true leaves are tiny pitchers.

On another note, does anyone know if Pinguicula esseriana is self-sterile?
Many attempts at fertilization have failed, and all of my plants are
from the same source. Thanks.

Jon T. Lindstrom
tranell@omni.cc.purdue.edu
West Lafayette, IN USA