Re: Need D.linearis, D.anglica, and other Drosera

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 16:44:00 PDT

Date:    Tue, 10 Jun 97 19:44 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Need D.linearis, D.anglica, and other Drosera

Hello Fernando,

> I have received no positive answers yet from anyone who can send me a
> flowering D.linearis in alcohol, so will post this again hoping I'll have more
> luck this time. I would like to ask for a flowering D.anglica in alcohol
> as well. In return I can send seeds of Brazilian Drosera, Genlisea, or Utrics.
> Hope someone can help me.

I hope I can help.

   I have a two groups of D.anglica (both from two very seperate
locations in Europe). One has only two individauls, but I think
they are the same clone so it should not hurt to sent you one from
that group and maybe a couple from the other. I haven't really had
a good look at them yet this year, but they did produce seed last year
and more should be coming up. :) When I did take a passing glance,
they seems like they have only just started to grow. I recall they
didn't flower until half way though summer last year and went dormant
right way; even before the summer was done or the flower stalks dried!

> I am also interested in obtaining leaf material of several Drosera
> species for my DNA sequencing studies. At the moment I have (or will have in
> the near future) leaf material from Brazil, Western & Northern Australia, and
> Cape Town region, but need to fill in a few gaps such as Venezuela's Roraima
> region, New Zealand, Eastern Australia, Northern Hemisphere, and remainder of
> Africa.

   I have number of N. American species and a couple odd balls, like one
all-red D.rotundifolia that never seems to have working traps. Doesn't
seem to be a virus, as I can't infect other plants of the same species.
But it's only one...

> What I need are people willing to collect live leaves, dry them off,
> and send them to me. These should also be accompanied by a whole dried plant
> representing each of the species from which the leaves were removed.

   Well, I don't have so many from different locations. Often it's
only two or so individauls from each site... Perhaps I can asexaully
reproduce some to keep as backups. Also, I might be able to gather
some more from private land here in NJ.

> Dubious species or forms from complicated species (such as
> spatulata and capillaris) are also welcome. Once again, I am
> willing to offer seeds of Brazilian CPs for trade.

   Don't have much in the way of D.capillaris, I can't grow them!
Do have D.brevifolia though, it's easy. I don't know that I can
take leaves from them. Far too small! Perhaps dried whole plants?

   I'm looking for various seed of Drosera and only have a couple
plants from S.A. One D.intermedia (Brasil), six plants of D. villosa
(but these seem to have stems and upright leaves??????) and one
from a known location and about three plants of D. graminafolia (sp?).
I'm sure you can help me fill in the gaps. ;)

Dave Evans