bog observations

From: Mellard, David (dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 16:46:00 PDT

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 97 18:46:00 EST
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: bog observations

I thought I would pass on a few observations I've made from the bog in my
front yard. Last winter, I left D. binata, D. capensis, D. filiformis v.
tracyii, and D. capillaris in the bog to see what would come back in the
spring. As some of you know, the Southern US and (for that matter the
Northern US) has had a cool spring so I thought that the droseras didn't
survive the freezes. Wrong. The last few weeks, I've had the best time
kneeling or lying next to the bog with a glass of wine and squinting to see
what was coming up. The binatas are back and in several locations that I
don't remember them being last year. The plants are adult size so I'm
assuming that they grew back from roots that survived underground rather
than from seeds. The binatas appear to be fairly evenly spaced, almost in a
line. The capensis is also coming back adult size, although smaller, and
is growing about a half inch from the dead mother stalk. The tracyii are
also back but that's not a big surprise.

As for the capillaris, I can't tell if they are coming back from seed or
from roots. The rosettes are smaller than last year but I'm guessing that
may be to the cool spring we've had. I've not noticed any rosettes that I
would say are seedlings just getting started.

Of course, it could just be the wine clouding my observations.

David in Atlanta