Re: Drosera Capillaris ready to bloom!

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Jun 09 1997 - 16:50:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 09 Jun 97 19:50 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera Capillaris ready to bloom!

Hi Paul,

> Meanwhile, d. adelae is still shooting off fireworks of fabulous
> flowers (and I wouldn't ever say that either...) on long pretty
> streamers. Does adelae ever stop blooming?

I have only seen D.adelae flower once. What are your conditions like?

> Would it be a waste of time to try to cross the adelae and capillaris?

No, it wouldn't. But I doubt it will work. Try to make the cross
in both directions. Sometimes only one way will work.

> Is capillaris self pollinating? Two adjacent caps will be flowering
> at the same time... if I cross the two, will I get more seed
> then if I let them self pollinate?

Yes. No. You would get seedlings with more diversity if you use two
flowers from two different clones, however.

>(Assuming that they do self pollinate...) I have a feeling
> that the adelae isn't self pollinating, or if it is, that it
> doesn't produce much seed... anyone ever get seed from adelae?

I don't think it is either. Yes people get seed (and so can you,
from various dealers or seed banks), but I think you need to have
two clones to do it... True???

Dave Evans