Re: Reverse Osmosis unit

From: Michael Zenner (mvz@agora.rdrop.com)
Date: Sat Jun 07 1997 - 00:48:58 PDT

Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 00:48:58 -0700
From: Michael Zenner <mvz@agora.rdrop.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Reverse Osmosis unit

At 08:58 AM 6/6/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>I am considering purchasing a RO unit to be installed in my kitchen. At
>Lowes, a 5-stage unit costs $197. I would appreciate some advice from
>members who have used such units in their homes. I would like to know if
>it is worthwhile or not. Some water filter competitors claim that RO
>wastes water, about 2 gallons for every gallon it produces. I am getting
>tired of buying distilled water for my CPs, and our tap is not to be
>trusted. Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>Paul Burkhardt

I use a Sheridan Bay RO unit that I got from a mail-order pet retailer. I
found that the "home" units were not significantly different (other than the
more complex installation) than the "pet" units, and yet were about twice
the price. I live in an area where the tap water will kill just about
anything, and the RO has truly been worth the money and the effort.

There is a sigfnificant amont of waste water produced by RO, but it can be
put to use if you have other plants which are less picky about water purity
(I have heard folks have generally good luck watering roses with this
water), or if you have some other use for extremely un-pure water.

I found the unit paid for itself within the first few months. I was easily
using five gallons of distilled water per day, which got awfully expensive.

Best of luck!

        -Michael Zenner