Re: Peeling Cephalotus leaves...

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 03 1997 - 07:57:30 PDT

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:57:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Peeling Cephalotus leaves...

> My Cephalotus' vegetative leaves, on at least one growth point, has
> developed what looks like sunburn. The leaves have a whitish wax layer
> that seems to be blistering, like skin peeling from sunburn. It receives,
> at the most, 2 hours of direct sunlight in a south-facing window and has
> lived in this location and conditions for the last two years without ever
> showing signs of discontent. There also seems to be tiny black globules on
> the tips of the hairs along the length of the plant's flower stalk. They
> look like insect droppings.

Since no one else has an idea, sounds vaguely like thrips. Particularly the
grey dessicated surface of the leaves and the black spots on the plant. Look
for tiny black, white, or nearly clear insects. Malathion works on Sarrs. for
this probelm, but I have not used it on Cephs. so I can't recommend it.

Tom in Fl