re: cp roots

From: mark.fisher@tpwd.state.tx.us
Date: Thu May 29 1997 - 08:18:00 PDT

Date: Thu, 29 May 97 09:18:00 cst
From: mark.fisher@tpwd.state.tx.us
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re:  cp roots

>I believe that the explanation may be a bit more complicated. For
>the Sarrs. I have plants that are many years old that regularly grow
>and sustain roots in the water trays. These trays are kept
>constantly filled with water, maybe 1 and 1/2 inches in summer, and
>1/2 inch or less in winter. And of course, the biggest forms of S.
>minor and S. psittacina are found in the Okee swamp, growing on
>sphagnum mats floating on water. Not only saturated, but almost
>naturally hydroponic.

     Yes, it is not being waterlogged that can kill roots but it is the
     anoxic conditions that USUALLY accompanies waterlogged soils that is
     the culprit. The Okee swamp Sarrs grow on a mat of living sphagnum,
     with their roots entending into the oxygenated water beneath. Same
     with your roots in the water tray.

     I believe the lack of aerenchyma tissue in Sarracenias (and the
     corresponding intolerance for anoxic soils) is what limits their
     distribution in the wild. Of all the millions and millions of acres
     of wetlands on this planet, only a small fraction of it is suitable cp
     habitat--most wetlands consist of anoxic soils.

     Has anyone ever tried growing Sarrs hydroponically? I believe it
     would work.

     I think a modified form of drip irrigation would also work
     well--imagine potted Sarrs suspended over a catch basin, while water
     slowly drips into the container, and out through the drainage holes.
     This constant perfusion of oxygenated water would prevent the soil
     from becoming anoxic, and would keep the soil very wet. Other cpers
     have mentioned an automated tray method that empties and refills
     several times a day, and others simply water their plants a few times
     a day, without the use of a tray of standing water. All these methods
     perfuse the soil with fresh, oxygenated water, and help keep the soil
     from becoming anoxic.