Re: Hybrids

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 10:12:19 PDT

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 13:12:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Hybrids

Laurent wrote:

> I don't like hybridization. I think the CP are so various and interesting in
> their natural form, that they didn't need any human modification to be
> impressive. Natural hybrids are for me more interesting, they represent a
> natural evolution. I love to have THE plant living in the wild....
> ...It's simply another vision of CP collecting, the geographic origin of
> the plants interests me and I want 'the original'...

More generally, it's simply a matter of one's preference. Preference
is a value judgement and cannot be argued logically--it can only be
explained for the benefit of another's understanding.

I like (Nepenthes) hybrids, natural and manmade. Why? Because
under my growing conditions the hybrids are more vigorous and
grow faster than many of the species. Also their pitchers are
quite spectacular (in size or color, sometimes both).

Considering pitcher size and beauty, there are many species
that are spectacular but often they're more fussy about
their growing conditions than many hybrids are. (N.
villosa and N. edwardsiana are classic examples).

I grow Nepenthes because I think they're beautiful and
very unique, and not for their carnivory or any other
aspect. I'm not a species collector exclusively, and so
I will not turn away a nice hybrid plant just because it is
a hybrid.

Vive la difference, Laurent! :-)

Regards,

Perry Malouf