Re: Sar Seeds

From: Mike & Lori Beer (beer@gemstate.net)
Date: Mon May 19 1997 - 06:56:06 PDT

Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 06:56:06 -0700
From: Mike & Lori Beer <beer@gemstate.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sar Seeds

I got behind in e-mail last week, so this is a little late in
responding, but since stratification takes a while, I suppose that the
topic is still open.

I have done several experiments involving stratification of Sarracenia
seeds over a period of several years, and have come to some definite
beliefs on effects of stratification periods:

1) How the seeds were treated (age and storage temp) prior to
stratification is the most significant thing in determining germination
success. There was more variation between seeds from different sources
treated identically, than between seeds from the same source with
different stratification times.

2) I have tried 4, 6, 8 and 10 weeks stratification. Percent
Germination is definintely better with 6 weeks stratification and
slightly better with 8 weeks.

All experiments have been performed in a family refrigerator, with the
seeds sowed on milled spaghnum moss, and kept in an enclosed space to
keep them humid. (plastic container). Use a fungicide to prevent
molding. All seedlings were raised in indoor terariums, and sprouted in
June, July or August. I didn't take them through a resting period their
first winter (although did rest them succeeding winters) and they did
O.K., blooming in about 3 yrs.

The bottom line is that since you may not know how the seeds were
treated prior to your recieving them, stratify for a minimum of 8 weeks.