Pollinating S. minor

From: Mellard, David (dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV)
Date: Thu Apr 24 1997 - 07:39:00 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 97 09:39:00 EST
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Pollinating S. minor

Hi Lee,

No Sarr flowers will pollinate themselves, but just to cover myself, I'll
say that possibly occassionally a gusty wind close to being tornadic force
will blow a few pollen grains onto the stigma. A truly remote event.

You'd better get there before the bees do, though. As insurance to free
pollination events, I cover the flower with white bridal veil and then
switch to red bridal veil once the flower is pollinated. I think the colors
are quite appropriate for keeping track of what's pollinated and what's not.

Below, you'll see a post I sent out just a few days ago about how to
pollinate Sarr flowers.
 ----------
To: 'CP List'

Hi Eric,

This has never happened to me (re: the flower dig not bend over). I
assume you want to pollinate it? If so, gently bend the flower over until
the pollen can fall down onto the umbrella part of the flower. You may have
to shake the flower a bit once it's in the right postion. This will
dislodge the pollen and allow it to fall on the base of the umbrella part of
the flower. You can gently lift up a petal and now see the pollen on the
umbrella. Use a brush to collect some of the pollen and gently brush the
stigma, which is a small projection on the inside of each point of the
umbrella part of the flower. There are four of five points. I've read
that you only have to brush one point, but I brush several just to be sure.
 When the flower is in the right postion, the petals will fall down between
the points of the umbrella.

I hope this is clear enough.

good luck,
David