Re: perlite, vermiculite?

From: Michael Reardon (m-reardon@adfa.oz.au)
Date: Wed Apr 23 1997 - 18:05:53 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 11:05:53 +1000
From: "Michael Reardon" <m-reardon@adfa.oz.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: perlite, vermiculite?

> >Niels Asger Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > I have an English dictionary but perlite and vermiculite are not
> > there. Could someone explain to me what it is. I understand that
> > it is used for making soil with good drainage. ....
>
> Perry Malouf wrote:

> Yes, perlite and vermiculite are added to growing media in order to
> improve drainage and to increase porosity.
>
> This listserver had a good discussion of what these are,
> exactly; perhaps it was last year sometime. The archives
> would contain the complete information.
>
> I'll summarize my understanding. Perlite consists of small white
> granules derived from volcanic ash. The granules float in water,
> and seem to be inert. They don't rot or break down. Some people
> have reported that perlite can contain traces of fluorides or other
> salts which might not be good for plants. I've used it in my
> Nepenthes mix with no apparent ill effect.

Both perlite and vermiculite are also used widely as hydroponic
mediums because of their water retention capabilities (among other
things). I've also read in a few places that perlite will eventually
break down but over a number of years. Though this break down may
only occur under the conditions used in hydroponics - the info wasn't
specific. You will probably find information on both perlite and
vermiculite if you check info sources on hydroponics.

Hope this helps

Michael Reardon