Re: Webs

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 23 1997 - 16:23:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 23 Apr 97 19:23 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Webs

> From: James Henry <jahenry@MERAK.COM>
>
> I'm growing several small carnivores planted in sphagnum moss in a terrarium.
> One of the plants is a form of pitcher plant, exact species unknown. I have
> noticed a mass of tiny webs in the sphagnum around the plant. None of the webs
> are actually growing on it and it appears healthy but the webs are slowly
> spreading through the sphagnum.
>
> Should I be concerned?

Hi James,

    Yes, you should. I don't know what you have, but it sounds
like is some sort of pest (it could be a bug that won't harm your
plants), or be of sort of fungus. I suggest you remove the stuff
from the Sphagnum and if that can't be done, remove the Sphagnum
it is growing in. You can save this moss in isolated conditions (in
a baggie) and experiment with it. If it is a bug and was feeding
off the plants, they should soon die without their food. If it is
fungus, it's growth should explode in the 100% humidity. Or just
throw away the contaminated stuff, but leave enough moss so as not
to remove your plants' soil.

Hope this can help,
Dave Evans