Re: New Zealand Lily?

From: wim@djo.wtm.tudelft.nl
Date: Tue Apr 22 1997 - 14:37:36 PDT

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:37:36 +0200 (MET DST)
From: wim@djo.wtm.tudelft.nl
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: New Zealand Lily?

Fraser Broom wrote:
> >a very big onion. But after 25 years(!) it is still heavily
> >confused. It's putting up leaves when summer starts down-under.
>
> If it is Amaryllis belladonna, it is not a New Zealand native,
> neither is it confused. It puts up leaves in late summer or autumn,
> as you describe. It flowers at roughly the same time. It might not
> be flowering, but it has adjusted to the northern hemisphere seasons.

It had leaves for about 4 months. They began dying back for a few weeks now.
It's doing so for all these years. Somewhere in september I expect it to put
up a flower stalk, which will last only a few weeks. Then in november/december
it starts putting up new leaves. It's flowering like this about six years now.
The people who gave it to me gave me the impression that it was a summer
plant, but they didn't have any more information.
I must have been wrong then all the time.

Regards, Wim.

----- wim@djo.wtm.tudelft.nl -----